Monday, October 8, 2012

A Vice President Story

So this is a story I wrote using a company named Book Appetite as the setting...

A Vice President Story






She swiftly picks one of her branded office suits, ties up her hair and puts on make-up like her life depends on it … it does. 26 year old Sapphire Bliss believes work keeps her alive.

“Ok Sapphire, focus, look good, show that you’re in control,” she says to herself with one last look in the mirror.

Busy mentally planning for the day’s agenda, she walks out of her condominium and goes straight to her Ferrari. She breathes in and orders “engine start,” the car understood.

“You’re in control…” she reminds herself once again as she place her car in the parking space of Book Appetite Corporation, the largest and most successful company that handles book production, libraries and book stores.

It’s only been two months since she got promoted as VP for marketing, she knows the weight of her responsibility and she fakes confidence to impress everyone. She stops in front of a metal door and it automatically scans her from head to toe. “Ms. Sapphire Bliss, WELCOME.” Head held high, she enters the building.

An employee immediately greets her, “Good morning Ms. Bliss”

“Good morning,” she greets back with barely a smile and continues to the meeting room.

Knock Knock Knock

“Excuse me,” she opens the door.

“Good morning everyone.”
Everybody nods and greets her back. She settles down to her seat and takes a good look at her watch.

6:50 … ten more minutes…

“Good morning Saph!” Pierre Lightwood, her best friend said.

“Mr. Lightwood, it’s Ms. Bliss remember? Were in an office. You’re a vice president, you should know that.” Sapphire said as she smiled.
Pierre laughed silently. “Alright. Alright…. You seem to like it though.”
Sapphire just glared at him.

Ten minutes later, she finds herself listening to their president about the new investors, making plans for the opening of another library, and improving the sales of their book stores.
“I assume that I don’t need to tell the four of you on what you need to pass on to your subordinates. So, that’s it, I’m looking forward to a better performance this time, as always. Meeting adjourned,” Mr. Kierce, the president ends the meeting.

“Ms. Drizzle, tell the managers that we’ll have a meeting in five.”

“Yes Ma’am!”

Sapphire goes in their department’s exclusive room. She arranges papers and reviews the tasks needed to be assigned. Promotion… sales… strategy… keep it together … 

Someone knocks at the door, “Ms. Bliss?”

“Good, all of you are here, come in.”

“Like I said, this are the things that we need to do … we should be careful with the ways we handle the process, “Ms. Bliss continued.

Mr. Gray, the manager for promotion speaks up, “Ma’am with all due respect, don’t you think that we should change the concept or do something different?”

“I agree with Mr. Gray.” Ms. Feinstar, sales manager, added.

“I’m sorry but I cannot agree with you. It’s far too high of a risk to change a plan we’ve been doing for a long time. We do not want to be the cause of a problem.”

“You always do not agree with us.” mumbled Mr. Summers, the customer support manager.

“What’s that Mr. Summers?,” Sapphire inquired with a raised eyebrow.

“Nothing ma’am,” Mr. Summers said with a fake smile.

“Look Ms. Bliss, I know you have a higher position than us but we’ve been working side by side with Mr. Summers when you were still a manager. Just let us voice out our opinions.

“Very well, since that is the proper thing to do.” Sapphire decided.

After another half hour …

“No! I do believe that’s all wonderful ideas but it just won’t work.” Sapphire firmly ended the decision-making.
Enraged, Mr. Gray said, “Alright then, I do have faith in you ma’am,” sarcastically and forced a smile.
Mr. Summers and Ms. Feinstar looked at each other and had a silent agreement.

“I agree with you Ms. Bliss.,” they both said simultaneously.

“Perfect. Meeting adjourned,” Sapphire waved a hand to indicate that they may go.

“Again, our efforts were wasted.” Mr. Summers sighed.

Ms. Feinstar looked at them with confused eyes “I thought this is a decentralized corporation.”

“It is.” Mr. Gray remarked. “It’s just that were in a department that’s centralized because of our ever wonderful vice president.”

“Come on! Bliss as a name does not even suit her! Actually she makes me feel the exact opposite when I see her!.” Mr. Summers commented.

Mr. Gray laughed “I’ll drink to that!”

Mr. Feinstar snickered and said “Agreed!”

Their laughter resounded in the hallway.

Months have passed and the usual routines occurred. Sapphire Bliss was beginning to feel at ease and convinced that she does her job well.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Come in.” Sapphire beckoned.

“Good morning Ms. Bliss.” Mr. Gray entered followed by the other two managers.

“Well this a surprise. May I ask what brought the three of you here?

“Well you see ma’am.” Ms Feinstar said. “We’re here to hand you our resignation letters.”

“What? You have got to be kidding me.”

“No ma’am, apparently, we are serious. We’ve given it a lot of thought already.” Mr. Summers added.

“Let me get this straight. You three MANAGERS want to resign from a successful and high profit company. WHY?”

“Ms. Bliss, first it’s about not being given an opportunity to let our ideas be implemented. Second, we do not only care about money and reputation. We want to grow and learn even in our age. Staying here makes us rot and nothing new happens to us. I mean, look at it. Usual routines, usual meetings, usual plans, usual day-to-day activities.” Mr. Gray boldly said.

With composure as she tries to hide a scowl, Ms. Bliss said “Well then, that is reasonable enough. If you really like to leave, then I won’t stop you. I wish you all success.”

“Thank you ma’am. Same to you.” they said as they left the office.

Ms. Sapphire Bliss began to think and panic as they went.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Sir?” Sapphire inquired.

“Ah. Ms. Bliss! Come, come.” the president, Mr. Kierce said as he beckoned her to sit down.

“You do know why I called you in right?”

“Yes sir. First I want to say I’m sorry. I might have done something to make them leave.”

“Interesting thought. You know Ms. Bliss, you’re good. I’m sure about that. Your problem is… you have issues…” he hesitated.

“Issues?! Excuse me?”

“I did not mean to offend you. Ms. Sapphire Bliss, I am telling you, ordering you to find out that issue and solve it. Otherwise, you will find it hard to work with new managers and might end up with the same situation. Think about it.”

“Yes sir. I understand.”

“Good. That is all. You may leave.”

“Aaaahhh!!!” Sapphire screamed in frustration.

“Calm down. Calm down.” Pierre warned. “We’re in a restaurant, remember?” He smiled.

That helped a bit. She thought as she began to smile.

“Ok. Now, tell me the problem.”

Sapphire told him everything. Pierre still managed look at her tenderly.

“I feel so angry and disappointed at myself! What should I do?”
“Saph. Look. First thing you should do is to trust yourself. Not too much though and do not fake confidence like what you do when you face others. Be really confident inside. You get me?”

Sapphire just looked at him.

Pierre sighed. “With that, you can also trust others. Let them voice out what they know and what they want. Balance the benefits and don’t get too scared to take risks. They’re healthy you know? Sometimes that is.” He beamed.

“Ok, I get it! I’ll do my best to do that. Try, to be exact. Thanks. You’re the best.” Sapphire put on a happy expression.

“Of course I am! I’m your best friend after all.” Pierre said with a wide grin.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Come in please.” Sapphire tried to smile.

“Good morning ma’am. We are your new managers. We’re delighted to be under your guidance.”

“Good morning to you too. I would like to say that I am glad to hear that. I look forward to working with you.” she said with true feelings.

The three new manages felt at ease.

“Let’s do our best.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Oh! If you have something in mind, tell me. Don’t hesitate. I’ll listen to everyone’s opinion. Got that?”

“We’ll be happy to do that Ms. Bliss.”

“Very well.”

Three months have passed and the Ms. Bliss’ department soared with high performance. Everyone loved her.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Mr. Kierce?” Sapphire opens the door.

“Ms. Bliss!,” he looked pleased. “First, I would like to congratulate you for a job well done!”

“Thank you sir. It’s an honor…. Second?”

Mr. Kierce laughed. “Second… you have guests.” He opened the door to let them in.

Mr. Gray, Mr. Summers and Ms. Feinstar materialized in front of her. They smiled.

Shocked, Sapphire was not able to say anything.

“Long time no see Ms. Bliss.” Mr. Gray said.

As if shot back to reality, she replied, “Same to you. I don’t mean to be rude but.. why are you guys here?” with a smile.

“Wow. That’s a new bright smile you have there ma’am.” Mr. Summers said. “I can work with that.”

“Truly.” Ms. Feinstar affirmed.

“Wait. Did you just call me ma’am?”

“Yes he did.” Mr. Kierce said.

Sapphire looked at him confused.

“Let me explain Ms. Bliss. The three of them didn’t quit. It was all a set-up. You see, they, we, really believe in your potential. They reported your problem to empower. We came up with an idea that you obviously experienced. It was to change you into a better vice president. No offense”

Miss Bliss laughed  “None taken. It did work though. I guess I’m grateful to all of you.”

“Whew. I thought she was going to explode.” Mr. Summers said.

They all laughed.

“So, does that mean that they’ll work for me again? What about the new managers?”

“Don’t worry about them. They were part of the plan and I already talked to them. They just went on with it.” Mr. Kierce assured.

Mr. Gray came forward smiling “Ma’am, we look forward to working with you again.”

“Same here.” Sapphire smile broke into a grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment